Sunday, March 1, 2009

3/2/09

Hooray, a linkdump...with some comments.

Some of you may have read something I worked on quite a while back, Robot Zero. It was in good part a homage to the Velvet Marauder blog. Anyway, I thought I'd post a link to the material I put together for that. I'm thinking about putting together some new entries on a regular schedule, like every two weeks. Anyway, here's the link. The entries are, of course, reverse chronological so if you're interested in reading them you have to go back a little bit:

http://edige23.wordpress.com/

The entries I did on the game prep for Artifact and the Masks of the Empire game got me thinking about alternate rpg structures again. I still think a radio-play game could be done using Skype, but you'd have to really do some work to make if effective. The GM could come up with documents and handouts to send to individual players, you could have special effects and so on. It could be interesting, but I'm not sure if it would be more effective or useful than putting that energy into a tabletop game. More interesting to me is the idea of a Lexicon RPG, built around a wiki. It is a collaborative rpg/writing tool. I think it could be fun if you got a large enough group of people and a good seed idea.

Lexicon RPG

Oh internets, how I love your insanity:

Watchmen Unmasked

I love the idea of abandoned places and cities. WebUrbanist often has image collections and stories from these kinds of places. Here's an example article:

24 Abandoned Cities

Huh...I think that's all I have...my obscure website-fu is weak. I shall have to consult with Kaiju.

5 comments:

  1. "Where do you want to go today?" [grin]

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am definitely going to going to read Robot Zero. For awhile Brian was writing a blog from the p.o.v. of our cat...

    I think the Lexicon RPG would be a fun creative writing project.

    The Watchmen... nothing even needs to be said there.

    I didn't know you liked abandoned cities and places. Wow! We have so much in common. *blink* *blink*

    But seriously, I liked abandoned train tunnels, abandoned mental asylums on islands, and falling apart brick buildings in the woods.

    http://www.waymarking.com/gallery/image.aspx?f=1&guid=8d62899c-4231-4d4a-97c0-46ee228db06b

    http://www.oboylephoto.com/girls_school/girls_school2.htm

    http://www.urbanlens.com/files/nbro/north_brother_island.html

    http://www.ohioexploration.com/greendalebrick.htm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice images-- here's another one I found today:

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/zero101/sets/72157614642408192/

    I hope you find RZ amusing.

    Yeah, I think at some point in the future I'll set up a lexicon game if I can get enough people together. I'll probably be a little looser than that article describes, just in terms of deadlines.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read Robot Zero. It was HI-larious! Very very good.

    I was thinking it would be fun for the next character I play to be a robot. I was inspired by the Robot character in Top Ten. There are just so many funny places you can go with a robot, and you touched on a lot of them in R.Z..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the idea of building off terms in other players' backgrounds in standard RPGs, so a full lexicon game would be great fun.

    ReplyDelete